If the government initiates a valid eminent domain action against your property, you often will have to move whether you want to do so or not. Your main recourse, however, is to make sure that you receive the full amount of just compensation you deserve not only for the value of your property but also for any other qualified financial losses that you suffer as a result of the taking. One kind of benefit to which you may be entitled includes compensation for any expenses you face to relocate yourself, your family, or your business.

Property and business owners may face many different relocation1 expenses, which can include the following:

  • Moving personal property
  • New advertising products including business cards and stationary with a new address
  • Moving equipment, fixtures, or machinery
  • Costs of reestablishment in a new location

Relocation costs can vary widely from case to case for business owners. For example, a real estate agency may only need to move desks and similar office supplies, so most of their expenses may result from reestablishment. On the other hand, a manufacturing plant may have large machines specifically tailored for that particular types of operations. Moving such machinery is difficult and may even be impossible in some situations, which means a business will either have to purchase new equipment or cease operations.

Calculating all of the relocation expenses that you deserve can be extremely complex and too many property or business owners underestimate the true expenses that they will face if they have to move. If you retain an experienced eminent domain attorney, they can help you identify all of the possible compensation to which you may be entitled and have resources to correctly calculate your losses. An attorney can also identify whether an expert opinion is necessary in your case to help with negotiations with the government or in court.

An experienced condemnation lawyer can assist you

The relocation expenses and benefits are different in every condemnation case. At the law firm of Sever Storey, LLP, we know how to represent business owners and landowners in every type of eminent domain case. Please call our office today at 888-318-3761 to learn how we can help you.


1 https://www.in.gov/ihcda/files/URA_When_a_Public_Agency_Acquires_your_Property-_HUD_booklet_1041-CPD.pdf